Search This Blog

Blue Cat Needlework

Monday, May 2, 2011

Prayer Shawl finally finished!

OK.  So a few months ago, a lady I know lost her 9-year-old niece to a very tragic car accident.  I offered to crochet a prayer shawl for her, and I expected to spend 3 days.  Well, it took me 3 months!!  When I was only a few stitches from completing the edging, I realized that the edging the designer came up with looked like a mistake to me.  I hated it!  I spent several days scouring Internet crochet sites and my own library.  Nothing looked like what I was envisioning, and I couldn't seem to come up with my own pattern - even I couldn't make it look right.

I used Caron Simply Soft, which is heavier than the recommended yarn, but I know from personal experience that when you sit still for 1+ hours, you get cold!  I wanted something heavy enough, as well as soft enough, to wear for hours while preserving body heat.

At Crochetspot.com, I finally found a ruffled edging, which I modified slightly.  I used the hanging shells pattern, which looks flat in the picture, but came out ruffled.  I used 6dc instead of 8dc, because I needed to save time and yarn.  It still ruffles and looks really pretty, as you can see in the pictures below.


Front

Right side

Left side

Bottom of the triangle detail

Collar detail

Back








No comments:

Post a Comment

Crafts2u Online Crafts Superstore